Most patio furniture looks plain and boring. But there are ways to spice it up, especially if you are looking for comfort. Cushions are the easy way to go, but they can even be specialized to incorporate a theme in your backyard or garden. Bright colors and a warm, fun theme are the way to go. Anything that brings summer to mind will undoubtedly make any garden a comfortable place to relax during the warm months. Home and garden magazines are a great resource for different ideas.
Give New Look to Your Patio Furniture
- Being that most patio furniture is placed in the garden, it is easiest to find cushions that have a sort of floral theme. These bright spring and summer blossoms will look great outside during the nice, warmer days of the year.
- Other popular themes for cushion fabrics include beach and tropical decor, flora and fauna, and other summer themed objects and prints. Solid colors are another popular idea. Black, teal, cream, yellow and coral are nice, mild colors that would look great in any setting. Paired with the right decor and materials, any look from a Tuscan villa to a seaside paradise is possible.
- Most regular garden furniture comes in standardized sizes, so replacement cushions and other accessories are easy to find. For customized patio furniture, customized cushions must also be made. Also when dealing with customized patio furniture, comfort and size are important to measure.
- The seat and the table should be paired comfortably so that there is both leg room and room for the armrests to move under the table.
- Another important question to ask is whether or not the table seems crowded with all the chairs around. Is the table going to be big enough to accommodate the correct number of chairs? Is there enough space to accommodate both the chairs and table, with room to move around? These are all important questions to ask when purchasing patio furniture.
- There are plenty of different types of fabric available or replacing or purchasing new cushions. One of the most popular is vinyl. Vinyl is sturdy and can hold up in extreme weather. It is also very easy to find replacement vinyl straps and slings for old furniture.
- There is also vinyl polyester, which is a hybrid between the two fabrics. Vinyl polyester is very flexible and is coated in a flame retardant liquid, a waterproof, molten vinyl, which also helps it reduce wear and avoid becoming soiled.
- Some cushions are also made of acrylic fibers. Acrylic is lightweight and warm and feels somewhat like wool, but it is hypoallergenic. It can stand up somewhat well to harsh weather conditions and tends to hold color well for a long time. It is very easy to find umbrellas made with acrylic
- Finally, there is olefin. Olefin is also a synthetic, like these other fabrics, but of all the other fabrics, it is the one most resistant to staining, bleaching, and mildew. This is the fabric that would be best suited for a harsh weather environment. It is one of the most popular fabrics for patio furniture because it is easy to wash and take care of, and holds up really well.
- Once the perfect fabric is found, it is important to take care of it. Bleach and strong detergents should be avoided. This could make the fabric fall apart or fade color. Most spills and stains can be wiped away with the simple application of soap and water.
- Materials are another important part of choosing the correct patio furniture, whether for replacing certain pieces or buying new furniture.
- Teak and wicker seem to be in old favorites, but many contemporary brands also come in lightweight aluminium with vinyl cushions that can be swept away by windy weather. While considering different materials, it is also important to consider how much maintenance will be needed each year.
- Patio furniture made with metal might have rust that needs to be dealt with, while wicker furniture can become weakened with water. Putting coverings over these pieces during rainy weather will slow down or prevent the rust from setting in.
- On the other hand, plastic furniture actually needs to be washed to take off any dirt and gunk. Teak, also, can stand water, but if it is unfinished and it becomes weathered, it will become a greyish silver. Some people like this. But to prevent it from happening, oil and a good sanding must be a part of this furniture’s regiment every year.
- It is also important to consider what the furniture will be used for. If the goal is to make the garden a nice, beautiful sitting place, something more elegant and perhaps somewhat delicate would be preferable, like a glass table or wicker. If this is for a family with children or in a location with a lot of windy weather, something more durable would be needed, such as a heavier wood.
Knowing what the furniture will be used for and how to use it to the best of its ability will ensure that the furniture is around and performing well for a long, long time.
Image Credit: Img Credit