When the temperature soars during the summer months, you know it is time to bring out those tank tops, shorts, cold shoulders and off shoulders. Sadly, you can’t wear these to work even though the weather melts your makeup within hours!
Wondering what to wear to work without sweating profusely in this extreme temperature? Check out this ultimate summer guide to chic office wear for some fantastic ideas.
1) Versatile Cotton Dress – A versatile cotton dress is a must-have work wear addition to your wardrobe this blazing season. Opt for a plain button down dress with rolled-up sleeves and belt and wear it with contrast mules. Having a client meet scheduled during the day? Put on a blazer and you’ll be sorted!
2) Midi Shirt Dress – Wearing a shirt dress is the best way to go business casual in summer. You can experiment with the prints and patterns that are in trend. Vertical stripes are a wonderful alterative for these dresses and look fabulous when teamed up with your favorite pair of boots and a scarf.
3) Wrap Dress – Wrap dresses are one of the hottest trends. Give them an edge by wearing them with a boxy jacket or denim jacket to draw all the attention!
4) Bright Colors – Summer is all about pop colors. Think hot pinks, sunshine yellows, tomato reds, turquoise blues, lime greens, oranges and the likes. If you’re not quite a fan of bright colored outfits, opt for pop colored accessories such as shoes, handbags, necklaces and earrings. It’ll do the trick.
5) Darker Outerwear – The toughest part of the summer months is the commute to work. You don’t want sweat stains peeping through your light colored shirts and dresses when you reach your work desk. So, why not opt for dark colored outerwear such as summer coats? They not only hide the stain but also help layer your outfit. Grays, browns and other comparatively darker colors are a good fit for your summer outerwear collection.
6) Classic White Shirt – The classic white shirt in your wardrobe is always a summer staple. You can club this evergreen piece with pencil skirts, culottes, chinos or cotton trousers. Add pumps or peep-toes to take the style quotient many notches high. On days when you’re running late, this should definitely be your go-to outfit!
7) Floral and Foliage Prints – Think summer, think floral. There’s no escaping from this all-time summer favorite. You can keep it subtle with tiny floral prints on shirts or go bright and bold with foliage and rainforest prints.
8) Bold patterns – Find florals, chevron, polka dots and stripes unimaginative? Settle for bold patterns, which will surely make the heads turn and yet, be office-appropriate. From Aztec prints to mandala prints and everything in between, there’s a wide range of options for you to explore. Just keep everything else subtle so that the print is highlighted without being an overkill.
9) Print-on-print – Print-on-print is a cakewalk if you know how to do it the right way. Try pairing bold prints with subtle patterns and brighter patterns with neutral ones to establish your fashion acumen. If you’re going for the same patterns for your top and bottom wear, make sure that you invert the colors. Similarly, you can also use one print to dominate and the other as an accent.
10) Printed Skirts – Not a fan of wearing dresses all the time? Break the monotony with printed midi skirts. Pair them with monochrome or plain blouses in contrasting colors and strappy heels.
11) Lacy Tops – Like to keep it simple and subtle? Wear a lace trimmed summery top with your favorite skirt, trousers or culottes. Lacy crop tops are in vogue and appear stunning in pastel or neutral shades.
12) Ruffled Wear – We can’t get enough of ruffles. You can opt for ruffled peplum tops, skirts and dresses as a part of your work wear ensemble.
13) Culotte-Style Jumpsuit – We love culottes and we love jumpsuits. We also love the combination of both. Give it a shot if you want to look confident without making any effort. Tiny checks, pinstripes, polka dots are some of the classic patterns, which go well with this outfit. Otherwise, you can also settle for plain ones and complete the look with a pair of loafers.
14) Wide Leg Pants – Bring fashion to your office cubicle by swapping boring trousers with wide leg pants. Wear them with plain round neck t-shirt and a lightweight coat to effortlessly look 9-to-5 chic!
This was our take on summer office wear. Take your pick from these and be your stylish best under the sveltering summer heat! Watch this space, for more outfit and fashion ideas.
Swara Segal is a freelance writer and blogger based in the Mumbai, India. She is immersed in the fashion industry and is the go-to-person for trend tips. She has an excellent know-how of various Fashion jewelry designs & patterns and the perfect gemstone to go with them. In her free time, she loves to cook for family & friends and enjoy photographing nature on her cam.